- Immediately after the brainwriting session, copy all ideas to sticky notes.
- Participants, either as a group or individually, should begin arranging ideas into related “clusters.” This is simply a sorting process; there is generally no discussion of which ideas are better or worse.
- The group agrees on a label to put on each cluster.
- If an idea can fit into two or more clusters, duplicates may be made.
- Clusters can stand individually if the goal is just to get a bunch of ideas. If some consensus must be reached, discussion can begin about which clusters to merge or eliminate (What Is “Brainwriting?”).
The Clustering Technique